Friday, November 25

Inspiration: Calm Farmhouse Christmas

It's one of our family traditions to begin decorating our home for Christmas in the days after Thanksgiving - as a teacher and a salesman, the long weekend is the last breath of fresh air we'll get before winter break! This year, as I started to collect inspiration, I had way too many ideas for "themes" - everything from White Christmas style ski lodge to Wes Anderson influenced vintage. Somewhere in between these extremes, I kept coming back to soft, calming images of farmhouse entryways and trees decked in burlap and gold. When I put them together, I was in love. 

Last year, I chose world peace as the theme for our Christmas decor, and I'm back to neutrals again this year. Along with a festive touch of weathered Stewart tartan (Target calls it "Sour Cream Plaid,") rustic burlap and aged gold are inspiring me to make my home a comforting haven during this Christmas. This afternoon, as Mr. Q digs our favorite decorations collected over the past five years out of storage, I'm listening to one of my favorite hymns and looking forward to the opportunity to find calm in a busy season.

As the deer panteth for the water
So my soul longs after You
You alone are my heart's desire
And I long to worship You


You alone are my strength, my shield
To You alone may my spirit yield
You alone are my heart's desire
And I long to worship You


I want You more than gold or silver
Only You can satisfy
You alone are the real joy-giver
And the apple of my eye


You're my Friend and You are my Brother
Even though You are a King
I love You more than any other
So much more than anything
- by Martin J. Nystrom

Do you and your family have any special traditions to get ready for the holidays? When do you put up your Christmas tree - are you a Black Friday decorator like me, or do you wait until December?

No comments:

Post a Comment