Friday, January 29

#5FandomFriday: Late To The Game TV Discoveries

5 Fandom Friday is a weekly prompt challenge hosted by The Nerdy Girlie and Super Space ChickThis week's #5FandomFriday topic is Late to the Game TV Discoveries, and I had way more than 5, so I had to narrow it down to my faves.



The Simpsons - As a kid, I wasn't allowed to watch The Simpsons because, according to my mom, "the kids in that show are disrespectful to their parents" and they didn't want me picking up on Bart Simpson's bad habits or "Don't have a cow, man"s. I think it probably just came on at the same time as something else they wanted to watch. It happened to be on in syndication during my high school "eat ramen noodles and watch whatever's on FOX before dance classes start" hour, and I was actually surprised when I realized that The Simpsons is for smart people.




X-Files - Yet another thing my parents wouldn't let me watch, this time because "it looks like it will give you nightmares." Which, yes, totally valid point considering we had to stop watching Unsolved Mysteries because I dreamed about someone setting our house on fire with gasoline. I started watching the show when I was in college and fell in love, and even dragged my mom to see the movie in the theater with me. Of course, I'm pumped about the new episodes.


That 70's Show - I wasn't into That 70's Show when it first started airing, probably because I was still a delicate and pure little flower and spent all my time going to ballet class and reading Redwall. During 11th and 12th grade, it became one of my favorite shows after I'd caught up on all the reruns in syndication, and to this day it's probably my all time fave.


Firefly - I blame not liking Firefly the first time around because FOX aired the original episodes out of order and my high school self went to "OMG new scifi series from the creator of Buffy!" to "Why are they on a train?" in about 5 seconds. Mr. Q and I started watching a marathon on Syfy, ended up watching every episode, and we now own the whole series on Blu-Ray along with Serenity. I finally understood why nerds love Nathan Fillion so much, what a Browncoat was, and why Jayne's knit hat was so funny.


Broad City - a newer discovery, I'd seen the ads for Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer's show on Comedy Central but never checked it out until Hulu kept recommending it to me whenever I watched The Mindy Project and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Even though a lot of the show's humor is stoner humor (or maybe because of it), it's become a go-to for me when I have some down time and need a laugh. Abbi and Ilana are probably the realest BFF's I've ever seen on TV.

What TV shows have you fallen in love with...
after everyone else already did?



1 comment:

  1. I refused to watch Firefly for years because I thought it had aliens. I finally caved, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete