Friday, October 16

#5FandomFriday: Things I Love About Halloween



5 Fandom Friday is a weekly prompt challenge hosted by The Nerdy Girlie and Super Space ChickThis week's #5FandomFriday is all about my favorite holiday! You can see the upcoming prompts here at the Female Geek Bloggers community.


5. Candy!

Actually, teachers love November 1st because all of the Halloween candy is on sale.



4. Halloween music

Because listening to "Thriller" in June just isn't the same. Any song about a witch is fair game (thanks, Queens of the Stone Age and Fleetwood Mac!). I also love creating playlists of songs that aren't specific to Halloween but include creepy themes (Why is Maroon5's "Animals" not considered a Halloween song?) or odes to scary and otherworldly creatures (most Florence and the Machine songs, actually).




3. Halloween movies

Hocus Pocus tops my list - it just isn't Halloween until I watch it. It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, Toy Story of TerrorGhostbustersPractical Magic, The Craft, Addams Family Values and The Nightmare Before Christmas usually make it into my rotation as well, and I'll use the Halloween scenes in Breakfast at Tiffany's and Silver Linings Playbook as excuses to watch my favorite crazy-people love stories. I don't like actual horror movies - I have a very visual memory and have trouble getting troubling images out of my brain - but I love kids' Halloween movies and sillier versions of witches, vampires, and monsters.



2. Pumpkinfest

Breeze and I started a new tradition last year and brought Miss J along for the ride last weekend. We start the day by going to a local pumpkin patch (that also has a petting zoo with baby animals!) and farm store to find the very best pumpkins and candy, then go back to Breeze's house to eat a crock pot meal and carve pumpkins - while drinking sangria, of course. Because wine and knives go so well together. Our husbands watch football and tune us out, basically.


1. Dressing Up!

Halloween is my favorite holiday because it's all about fantasy and magic. As a kid, I was a witch for about three years running, along with Snoopy, a mermaid, a princess, a gypsy, a cat, and a '50s sock hopper. In college, my favorite costume was a go-go dancer outfit I put together complete with mod makeup. As an adult, I have enjoyed masquerading as Hermione Granger, an '80s My Little Pony, and Effie Trinket. I've also noticed that my Halloween costumes are tending towards full-on cosplay - I've gotten a little obsessed with the details being just right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment