Friday, August 28

5 Fandom Friday: Real Life Geeks Who Inspire Me



5 Fandom Friday is a weekly prompt challenge hosted by The Nerdy Girlie and Super Space Chick, and I loved this week's topic, Real Life Geeks Who Inspire Me! The hard part was narrowing down the list. You can see the upcoming prompts here at the Female Geek Bloggers community.


Joss Whedon - This man definitely qualifies as a professional geek, and he's one of my writing idols because his style is just so uniquely Joss no matter what he's working on. Pretty much everything Joss writes, from Buffy to Firefly to the Avengers movies, is about the same thing: how, as we grow up, we create our own families. He's also a Shakespeare nerd who holds readings at his house with his favorite actor friends.

Bill Nye - Here's the thing: it takes a geek to love a subject so much that instead of seeking your own fame/glory/wealth/achievement in that field, you devote your life to teaching others about it. I don't believe I would have been as interested in science as a kid if not for Bill Nye, but thanks to him, science was something that was approachable and fun and all around me - and I ended up exceeding everyone's expectations for me and attending a math and science high school. I once read a letter he wrote in the 1990's about his hopes for our generation and it actually made me cry.

The entire staff of The Mary Sue - In a world where female geeks are accused of being "fake geek girls," a website that is all about the intersection of feminism and geekery is a necessity. Since several of the io9 writers are women as well, it's a good time to be a geeky lady on the Internet.

John and Hank Green - I was late to the vlogbrothers party - I must admit that I did not know what DFTBA stood for until after reading The Fault in our Stars. I love these guys because they are genuine, kind people putting a positive message out into the world every week.

Felicia Day - I feel like I was late to the Felicia Day party too, but I've loved this social media maven since I discovered her funny, sweet, geeky web series The Guild - and I'm not even a gamer. She's adorable and unapologetic about being a girl geek!


No comments:

Post a Comment