Saturday, January 15

Progress Post: Venue, Flowers, Wedding Party

The first big wedding decision for us was choosing our venue. When FI proposed in November, we knew we wanted to get married this summer even though I was aware that a lot of local venues and vendors book a year or more in advance. The first venue we visited ended up being the one we chose- the Vinton War Memorial. We fell in love during our tour of the facility- it was easy to visualize our ceremony and reception talking place in such an elegant setting. During a sneaky secret mission to investigate another potential venue (a restaurant; we went for brunch and scoped things out!) we realized that we were still talking about the War Memorial nonstop. We knew it was the one. They only have one Saturday left this summer- we'll take it!

Then it was off to one of my favorite stores in the world - Michael's Arts and Crafts! Surprisingly, it was FI's first trip (of many? I like to think so). We spent most of our shopping trip in the silk florals section choosing wedding colors by putting together various bouquets. Our final choices were blue and purple hydrangeas (his favorite color is blue and mine is purple, plus hydrangeas remind me of my paternal grandmother) and off-white garden roses, with a dogwood branch thrown in as a tribute to the War Memorial's decor, town Dogwood Festival, and Virginia state flower.

I also picked up materials at Michael's to make "Will you be my..." cards for my Maid of Honor, bridesmaids, and flower girl. I was able to give my flower girl her card in person tonight- her mom is one of my oldest friends. Tomorrow, MOH and I are headed to my first bridal show. I am really beginning to feel like a future bride! The commercial on the radio says that when I leave this bridal show, my wedding will be planned- if only that really were the case :)

No comments:

Post a Comment